Saturday, July 7, 2012

'I feel like a Skype father': Tom Hardy reveals drawbacks of his growing Hollywood success

He is about to star as the main villain in the forthcoming new Batman sequel, which could put the stamp on his growing Hollywood success.
But Tom Hardy admits he is paying a price for stardom.
The 34-year-old British actor says that he is aware of being a 'Skype father' when it comes to his relationship with his four-year-old son Louis. 
Hard worker: Tom Hardy says he hates to be a 'Skype father' but needs to make films to provide for his young son, who he keeps out of the public eye
Hard worker: Tom Hardy says he hates to be a 'Skype father' but needs to make films to provide for his young son, who he keeps out of the public eye
'I like to go no longer than three weeks without seeing my loved ones, but it does take some juggling,' Hardy tells the August issue of Company Magazine.
Engaged: Hardy, pictured back in January, is engaged to actress Charlotte Riley
Engaged: Hardy, pictured back in January, is engaged to actress Charlotte Riley
'I'm very much aware of being a "Skype father," which is sad,' he adds referring to the internet phone service. 'But I have to have the finances to make sure [my son will] be secure, and I can only do that by working.'
Louis lives mainly with Hardy's former girlfriend Rachael Speed and is apparently a keen rugby player already.
'He plays rugby,' the actor says. 'He's rubbish at it but he's really full of heart. He's a beautiful boy. But I would think that, wouldn't I?'
Hardy is now engaged to 30-year-old actress Charlotte Riley, who he starred alongside in the 2009 TV adaptation of Wuthering Heights.
However, the star admits he is 'quite needy' as a boyfriend.
'I was an only child so I got a lot of attention from my mum,' he explains.  'I think that is naturally going to transfer onto any poor woman who's in my life.
'However, if you were my partner, you'd get a lot of attention back.'
Hardy appears as Bane in the final instalment of Christopher Nolan's Batman franchise The Dark Knight Rises, which is released in the U.S. on July 20.
Hardy told Entertainment Weekly that Bane is a very different villain to Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight back in 2008.
Starring role: Tom Hardy filming alongside Christian Bale as Batman in The Dark Knight Rises last year
Starring role: Tom Hardy filming alongside Christian Bale as Batman in The Dark Knight Rises last year

'The Joker didn't care - he just wanted to see the world burn, and he was a master of chaos and destruction, unscrupulous and crazy. Bane is not that guy,' he said.
'There is a very meticulous and calculated way about Bane. There is a huge orchestration of organisation to his ambition.
'He is also a physical threat to Batman. There is nothing vague about Bane. No joke. He's a very clean, clear villain.'

No comments:

Post a Comment