Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Jessica Biel Talks About The Illusionist


Jessica Biel Talks About The Illusionist
Jessica Biel in the movie The Illusionist.
© Yari Film Group
Working with Edward Norton: Jessica Biel has nothing but praise for her onscreen lover. “He's just so passionate about every inch of the filmmaking process. He wants to know what I'm doing, what the camera's doing, what Neil's doing. He's on top of it. He's got it all figured out and he just cares. He cares so much about it. And he was lovely with me. We had a great time. We really connected. I feel like he never does the same things twice. He's always changing it up and switching things up, saying things differently and I'm always chasing after him, I feel like.”
Biel wasn’t shy about asking Norton for advice. “He did give me some direction. I asked for it, too. I said, 'You know, please. I'm open to it. Talk to me about what you think. Let's collaborate on this.' I don't remember exactly what it was, but I do remember he'd come and whisper something in my ear and it was always a great note. He always has great, great ideas.”
The Agony of Corsets: Biel thought the costumes were incredible, even if they weren’t the most comfortable outfits around. “I had a really sore back my first couple days wearing a corset,” explained Biel. “It was really kind of painful, actually. We kept tightening the corset. The corset got tighter and smaller and smaller as my body kind of formed to the corset, which is kind of interesting. In a short time, my high waste was smaller than it was when I started. It’s kind of interesting that your body can move so quickly.”
Getting the Opportunity to Play a 19th Century Duchess: “It was fabulous. It was just so much fun. I mean, I dressed like a princess every day and that wasn't necessarily a goal for me as a little girl. I wasn't necessarily princess-crazy. But as an adult, it was just so fun and lovely and living in Prague for a couple months was... You know, if I didn't have to come home, I wouldn't have. I would have stayed forever.”
The Illusionist Role and Her Career: Jessica Biel sees this particular movie as a major step forward in her career. “I hope that it will open up my opportunities to do different things. It will show people that I’m capable of different types of acting, subtle types of acting. I can be gentle and soft and feminine, because I do feel I might be at times in some of my other films tougher and harder and less feminine. I think it’s important, really important. I hope that it does what I’m foreseeing.”

Biel’s never been cast as the ‘girlie’ girl. “I think it’s because the projects that I’ve been a part of,” said Biel. “Texas Chainsaw Massacre: really tough and action, running and strong. “Blade: extremely strong, muscular. “Stealth: really muscular. It’s very physical and strong characters and tough character and sort of maybe even unattainable or un-relatable characters. I think that maybe somebody doesn’t feel like they can be friends with a fighter pilot, or a vampire hunter, which I sort of get. I sort of understand that. But I think that might be why. I don’t regret d
oing the projects because of it. I just want to make the steps to be able to have all options spread out in front of me.”

Up Next – Next with Nicolas Cage and 50 Cent: “I play a schoolteacher. I'm playing like the most normal, sweet, quiet, strong, kind of sassy woman who falls in love with Nic Cage's character. But I'm actually schoolteacher and once a week I work at the reservation, so she's really kind of interesting. I fall in love with him because he's been searching me out because he's a pre-cog and he can see into the future. He's been seeing this woman and he doesn't know why that when he sees this woman, he can see further into the future than he usually can. He finally finds her and he know this is the person he's supposed to be with. He sort of has to hang onto her and she's like, 'Who are you? You're just a creepy guy. Get away from me.' He's kind of got to woo her and they have this kind of quick romance and the FBI are after them - and it's exciting.”

Although it sounds as though Biel’s character’s involved in a lot of action scenes, the actress said, “I'm not fighting or anything. I do a bit of running and I get kidnapped by terrorists and I get dragged around for a while. Dodging bullets a little bit, but not hardcore action or fighting or anything.”

Biel really enjoyed working with Cage. “Nic surprised me every moment. I was on my toes at every second waiting to see what was going to happen...Next. (Laughing) He was so much fun and so personable. He's a total goofball. He tells great, great stories. He's just got so much to talk about. He's super-smart and he's fun. I just, sort of, you know, kind of fall in love with him and working with him was just lovely.”

No comments:

Post a Comment